Straight from Mind..... (NeverMind) !!

Surbhi's Blogspot aims to spread Vibrance around... "Straight from Mind" will touch upon Real Life Incidences, Learning, Excitement, Experiences and Whatever is Happening !!

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

TO-GO / TAKE AWAY...

It really matters what you say, where you say and to whom !!!
This incident happened just last week at an Italino Restorantte in London.. when after we finished eating all the Veg Lasagne, Penne Pasta, Bruschetta, Ciabatta, Cheese Crepes.. that we could'nt finish up the Large Mozarella Pizza... still had more than 50% lying in front of us.
Irony, We entered the restuarant coz we had really liked the Dessert Menu and now there was no scope !!!

Anyway, We decided that we would make the large pizza 'TO GO' (in American Language- thats what we say in Austin.. I remembered well and am so used to it)... I asked the waiter for the same and he was taken aback (we saw a wierd look on his face).. Hopefully, he did understand what I meant (though he had hard time earlier while we had placed order for drinks, main course), just to be sure I repeated-"We want a box to make this To-GO".
He asked- "TO-GO?? TO-GO Where ?? Are you visiting UK? Where you from?"
I replied - "Well.. Yes! United States" (Wanted a back up for 'ToGo' thing.. we still saw that look on his face !)
Waiter - "But thats sad... Its not TO-GO.. its Take Away"
Bang !! I knew this was coming...
I said - "Hmmm... Thats what we say out there"
Waiter- "Young Lady, Well not in England.. coz we say what Queen Elizabeth2 decides to say.. and she likes to call it Take Away"
Heck.. I mean enough of it..for a mere two words and that too a synonym !! I just shook my head in agreemeent... And finally the Italian waiter who was barely managing to speak English with all the Italian slang said - "Young Lady, I need to give you English Lessons" And, that was when all others on the table broke into laughter (LOL) !! I smiled - "Yeah! Sure.. someday"
:)

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

At 4:51 AM, Blogger Gaurav Nayyar said...

it must have been an embarasing moment for u :-)....
u shud have said...."tanne mein tution de dooon angrezi mein" with a jat accent :-)

he must have felt aback.....hehehhe :-)

 
At 4:56 AM, Blogger Vibrance ! said...

It wasn't embarassing.. but felt irritated! I never expected the waiter to go on and on.. after the same thing ! But, I controlled my Dark side to not create a scene and end the dinner in humour ! :-)

Seriously, It was funny !
Now, I know how/what to say on the Queen's land !

 
At 4:58 AM, Blogger Gaurav Nayyar said...

How do u know how/what to say on the Queen's land .Did u took "tutions" from the waiter? :-P

 
At 5:01 AM, Blogger Vibrance ! said...

LOLz !! Not yet.. But I dare say 'To-GO' while in London or in Italy !!!

 
At 2:43 AM, Blogger Butterfly said...

man waiter with attitude probs! wierdos! dosent the queen teach courtesy?

 
At 2:43 AM, Blogger Butterfly said...

man waiter with attitude probs! wierdos! dosent the queen teach courtesy?

 
At 3:01 AM, Blogger Vibrance ! said...

Well.. shud hav asked that ! hehe.. but it was irritating and hilarious !

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger Jatin said...

had a good laugh reading it [:)]

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger Jatin said...

seems like the war of words between the Queen and the Princess!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home